The summer is almost behind me. I am anxious to share the awesome experiences we had with our Japanese exchange student this summer. He went back to Japan over a week ago. Since then, I have been catching up on things before our school starts back . Before I write a post sharing the details about our exchangee, I wanted to first follow-up on the results of the pottery I made back in July.
Beginning at the end of June, I had an opportunity to work in a pottery studio for a month. This was a big deal to me, as I had not faithfully worked on the wheel in almost 18 years. I was so excited to begin working on my wheel throwing technique. Each week (week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4), I wrote a post about my experience and showed some examples of the pots I made.
In the middle of July, tragedy struck my husband’s family and my priorities were rearranged. After a week-long set-back, I was able to resume working at the studio. But by the time my month was over, the excitement I had in the beginning was replaced with impatience…to finish up my work and move on.
My pots were glaze fired at the end of July, but I didn’t have any spare time to take photographs. I finally photographed them today, and I am eager to share the results.
This pot has a salt-buff glaze resulting in a rough texture and an organic look. It is different, but I like it.
These plates and trays were made from slabs. The two round plates were molded from a salad plate. The two rectangular trays on the bottom right were molded from a black foam produce tray. All have the spanish red glaze.
Some of my pots were completely ruined in the glaze firing. Losing a few was expected, but most survived and were successful. I am pleased with the outcome and my overall experience. I can’t complain. I think I got my money’s worth. 🙂