My second week of throwing, to be quite honest, turned out to not be as exciting as the week before. I had a fairly good day with making five pots. Given the limited amount of time I spent in the studio, making five pots was plenty. Here are the five pots all trimmed and ready to dry as greenware.
My second time in the studio that week was mainly spent glazing several things that had been bisque fired. Glazing is a very tedious task. The bottoms of the pieces are brushed with a liquid wax to prevent the glaze from sticking to the bottom – to prevent the piece from adhering to the kiln shelf when it is fired. The glazes are stored in large five gallon buckets and must be stirred before using. The glaze mixture separates and stirring to incorporate the contents can take several minutes. Think of a large bucket of pancake mix .
I used the dip method to apply the glazes. Some pieces were brushed with glazes because I wanted to control the application. It is always a guessing game. I hope all, or most, of my pieces that I glazed will fire well in the end.
The glaze on this pot is one that I will be anxious to see the outcome. I didn’t really want to do the drips along the rim, but I did it anyway. The glaze just wouldn’t cooperate with what I originally intended to do.
My third week at the studio is going to be interrupted. My husband’s cousin died in a tragic accident on Wednesday. We will travel north over the weekend to be with family and attend the funeral on Tuesday.
Sometimes, unexpected things happen…but family always comes first.
My pottery endeavour will be on hold until I get back. There isn’t enough time to throw more pots, but I think I produced a decent amount of work after not throwing for 18 years.
There may not be much to report for week three. Week four at the studio will be either hit or miss. We are expecting a visitor during my last week at the studio, and I will write about him later.
July will prove to be one hectic month, but I hope to have some finished pieces to show before the month is over.